The Coulson Hotel was one of four hotels in the town. Located near the harbour it catered to many of the travellers arriving by ship. Careful observation of this photo will reveal an ox on the left. These animals were critical to "breaking the land" for pioneer settlers.

Hotels were important gathering places for men in 1865. Here news was traded, deals were struck, and enough liquor was drunk to make some members of the community attempt to have it banned in the 1850's

   The Home of Col. Pollard, Town lawyer and Commanding Officer of the local militia. Built in 1865 this was the finest home in town. It is still standing. Pollard was also the first mayor of Meaford.

 Jesse Purdy's Home is one of the oldest remaining houses in the town. Purdy operated a grist mill and a sawmill just upstream from this house. Purdy was a land developer whose development on the east side of town was called Purdytown in 1865

The house is historically recognized as the home of "beautiful Joe" an abused dog whose story was imortalized by the book Beautiful Joe, by Marshall Saunders

   This Photo taken 4 years after Muir left Meaford shows a typical street scene in the late 1860s. The school in the photo was located on Nelson Street
   The Globe Hotel was located at the west end of the town and served travellers en route to nearby Owen Sound. In addition there was the Georgian Hotel near Stevenson's wharf, Stubbs Hotel at the east end of town, and The Temperance Hotel (no whiskey there) near the town center.
   Randall's Mill located on Sykes Street where the Bighead river flows beneath the bridge
   Purdy's Woolen Mill - Jesse Purdy's woolen and carding mill was only one of this entrenpeur's many ventures. He was also a land developer and owner of a gristmill. His home is still standing in Meaford at Beautiful Joe Park.

   The Back Street Cafe today is a fine dining room. The building was once the Church of Chirist Disiple's "kirk" were Muir and the Torut Family attendend Sunday Service.